Thursday, April 23, 2009

It is Simply a Matter of Habit

The TV yesterday was full of stuff about Earth day. I am very inspired by the little things we can do and form a part of our daily routines.

Did you know that the Pacific ocean is a huge garbage dump and the garbage mainly consists of plastics? It almost made me cry to watch what we have done to our planet. It is time that all of us cleaned up our act whether or not we have contributed directly or indirectly to it.

I would like to share some things that I find are easily achievable through habit.
1. Avoid littering the streets - looks shabby and not environmentally friendly.
2. This I would like to stress especially to my American friends - Avoid using paper towels for everything. I have never seen so much use of paper towels in Canada as I have noticed in the houses of my American friends. Old T-shirts are great to soak up liquids and wipe counter tops or please go ahead and use the market-bought wiping cloths, but please avoid paper towels wherever possible. How could we so easily forget what our parents (especially those whose parents are in India) used, to do the same, is beyond my understanding.
3. Try using organic fertilizers for lawns.
4. Use faucet water filters instead of plastic bottles for drinking water
5. Use the good old cloth bags for shopping instead of loading your drawers and/or garbage and/or recycle bins with the dreaded plastic bags. It is the toughest to get used to.. but again it is a matter of forming the habit.
6. Car pool or friends in Pune can try to scooter pool whenever possible.
7. Go vegetarian at least once a week.

I hope that at least few of you understand the gravity of the issue at hand. Let us give a cleaner planet to our future generations. It is our responsibility.

2 comments:

Saurabh said...

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Indians-are-worlds-greenest-Survey/articleshow/4527041.cms

Swapnali said...

Oh Thanks Saurabh
Very encouraging indeed.

Follow This Blog