Saturday, April 25, 2009

Antibiotics and vaccinations

I have been reading and hearing about the Swine Flu virus, as I am sure everyone has. It has triggered some disturbing thoughts about future generations - of humans and bacteria and viruses :).

I am pretty sure, that the first penicillin was discovered with the best intentions however, this "habit" of using antibiotics when and where possible has multiplied ever since. Thanks to the Internet, we can now be more aware of the drugs that doctors prescribe rather than just blindly using them. Here are a couple of helpful websites that can help us make informed decisions about the use of antibiotics and vaccinations.

I think we need to always remember that pharmaceutical companies are here to make money just like any other business. This reminds me of a very good book I read a few years ago: Strong Medicine by Arthur Hailey.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/antibiotics/FL00075
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antiviral_drug

Wishing you all good health!


2 comments:

Kanchan said...

Good one! Thanks for the websites.

Swapnali said...

Thanks Kanchan,
I am glad that you and other people who have messaged on facebook find this useful.

Follow This Blog