Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Longing for real education


As a child, I often dreamt of opening my own school one day. This dream has resurfaced. It is funny how the internet works. I was looking for music by Bhupen Hazarika, landed on a Bengali site that mentioned Shantiniketan, and there I was dreaming again! :)

I am sure many of us were tired of rote learning and exams that made no sense on a deeper level. I was too. I remember crying and longing to go to a different system. I even fought with my parents sometimes, accusing them of forcing me to memorize the historical dates. However, the fault was hardly theirs. They, like every other parent of the day, wanted the best for their child, and saw no other option.

Similar thoughts have resurfaced in the recent movie ‘Three Idiots’ also, many international universities in the US and elsewhere are realizing the drawbacks of the “British” way of popular “education”. I am glad to know that I am not alone.

Lucky are those who escaped the clutches of standardized books and exams.

Well, I still have time to open this one “dream” school of mine! Investors wanted! :)

What better place to start yet another school, but Pune!

2 comments:

The Wanderer said...

Yesssssssss ! You have, as if by telepathy, read my mind, caught my desire, and written exactly what I feel ! Count me in ... I want to be a part of this school ! :)
I read this article. It is about alternative methods of basic education. I thought it to be interesting. Do read it.
http://education.in.msn.com/colleges/article.aspx?cp-documentid=3913066

Raju Bist said...

I can fully empathise with what you have written. If your parents forced you to memorise historical dates, my dad insisted that I learn the tables by heart - from one to 12!
Rote learning alone must be responsible for making our education so boring...
Raju.

Follow This Blog